Pages

Wednesday, September 28, 2011

Salmon Cakes

This recipe is very near and dear to my heart. My mom made "salmon patties" at least once a week when I was little. She always had macaroni and cheese and green beans to go along with them. This was the first meal that I learned to make of my mom's and now we enjoy it at our house often. Not only is it delicious, it's really healthy and good for you. Salmon is one of the best things you can eat. 

For this recipe, you'll need:
3 cans of salmon
1/2 c. corn meal
1/4 c. flour
1/2 medium bell pepper
3 tbsp. chopped red onion
1 clove of garlic
1 egg
salt and pepper
oil for the pan


I use boneless, skinless salmon. The bones and skin are really good for you and are tender. If you want to include them, go ahead! It'll only make it better for you.
 Saute the onion, pepper, and garlic until tender in a small skillet.

Drain salmon from liquid. Carefully separate salmon, being careful not to break up the pieces. Add cornmeal,  flour, a beaten egg, and cooled sauteed vegetables. The only way to mix this is to use your hands! Mix together being sure not break up the salmon.

Form into patties. They should be able 3-4 inches across and about 1 1/2 inches thick. They may not stick together very well when wet, but they will once one side gets cooked. Cook in a pan with 2 tsp. heated olive oil.  Allow to cook on one side for about 4 minutes. Flip and cook another 4 minutes.

This recipe is so easy, quick, and healthy. It is the perfect week night meal. I hope you enjoy one of my favorite childhood meals.