Pages

Monday, September 26, 2011

Broccoli, Grape, and Pasta Salad

I subscribe to Southern Living magazine. I patiently wait for the 20th of every month when I get the new issue! It is full of great recipes, gardening tips, and decorating ideas. There is almost always one recipe that I try each month from the magazine. This recipe was one that I just had to try. It was so delicious that I knew I needed to make a healthier version so that I could enjoy it often. Now I make it at the beginning of the week and have it for lunch several days a week. Head on over to the Southern Living website to find the original recipe. If you're wanting something a little more light, try my makeover recipe!

You'll need:
1 cup chopped pecans
1/2 (16-oz.) package whole wheat pasta
1 pound fresh broccoli
1/2 cup mayonnaise
2 tbsp. sugar
1/3 cup diced red onion
1/4 cup red wine vinegar
1 teaspoon salt
2 cups seedless red grapes, halved
8 cooked turkey bacon slices, crumbled
Here is the recipe that I used! To make it healthier, I switched out regular pasta for whole wheat, cut the mayonnaise and sugar down, and...
used turkey bacon! Turkey bacon is really tasty and is so much better for you than pork bacon. We love this turkey bacon and use it often.

 Cook your pasta according to the package directions. Set it aside and allow it to cool. Cook the bacon and then break into small pieces. Set aside.

Halve your grapes, chop the pecans, cut up the onion, and chop your broccoli. Make sure you don't include much of the stalks from the broccoli. Since it's served raw, they are pretty tough. Set all of these things to the side in a separate bowl, keeping your pecans separate.
 

Now, to make the dressing. Mix together the salt, sugar, mayonnaise, and vinegar.  Once the pasta has cooled, mix together the broccoli, grapes, onions, and dressing together.

Allow to sit for at least an hour in the fridge. Mix in the bacon and pecans right before serving!

No comments: