Pages

Thursday, December 1, 2011

Vegetarian Tacos

I've shared before that Dan and I try to enjoy 1-2 vegetarian meals a week to help keep our grocery budget down and for health purposes. When I first suggested this idea, I wish you could have seen the look on my husband's face! He could eat meat with every meal and the thought of not having a meat with supper was especially appalling. I've come up with a few meals  now that he loves and they have no meat at all. Here is one that I posted earlier in the summer.

Tacos have always been a favorite in our house. We normally eat them about once a week. They are so easy and quick. These vegetarian tacos are even quicker than normal tacos and equally delicious. This recipe serves about 4 people.

What you'll need:
2 cans of black beans
1 1/2 cans corn or 1 1/2 cups of frozen corn (in the summer, I use 2 ears of fresh)
1 can diced tomatoes with chili peppers
1 package of taco seasoning
toppings for tacos: cheese, lettuce, sour cream, cabbage- whatever you like
hard or soft taco shells

Here is the EASY part: 
1. Drain the beans and corn from the liquid in the can, and put in a medium pot. Add the tomatoes and taco seasoning. Cook uncovered for about 10 minutes on medium high heat, stirring every few minutes.


2. Put mixture in the tortillas, add the toppings you like, and enjoy!


It doesn't get much easier or healthier than that! You can also take the mixture and add cheese and make quesadillas with it. It is also delicious.

We enjoy this meal now once a week, at least. My husband, who used to think he could never eat a vegetarian meal, always asks me to make this recipe. :)

No comments: