Pages

Friday, September 9, 2011

Beef Ribs

Beef ribs are some what of a favorite around our house. We buy all of our beef fresh from a local farmer (side note: we buy all of our beef with my parents in bulk at the beginning of the year. It is so inexpensive, tastes so different, and is SO much better for you. For one half of a cow, we pay $200 and then choose how you want it processed. It feeds my parents, my grandparents, and us about two nights a week for the entire year) and the ribs have become my favorite. I didn't really know what to do with them when I first got them, so I read through a lot of beef rib recipes. This dish takes a long time to cook, but is pretty easy to make.

I really like this recipe too because I get to use my great-grandmother's cast iron dutch oven. I don't use it for a lot so I love any opportunity to be able to use it.This was my inspiration for this recipe!

 


For this recipe you'll need:
4 beef ribs (1 rib will feed 1 person, they are much bigger than pork ribs)
 1 cup of chopped carrots
1 cup of chopped yellow onion
2 tbsp. balsamic vinegar
2 tbsp. worcestershire sauce
2 tsp. dried thyme
2 bay leaves
1 tsp. crushed red pepper flake
1 tbsp. tomato paste
3-4 cups of beef broth
water
olive oil for browning beef
salt and pepper
A pot that can be used on the stove top and then put in the oven



A note about chopping vegetables. I hardly ever use a whole onion or a whole bell pepper. So I still chop the whole thing and then put the part I don't use in a plastic bag and freeze. Then, next time you need onion, you don't have to cry! They are already chopped and ready for you.


Liberally salt and pepper the ribs. There is a lot of meat on them and need to be seasoned well. Put about 1-2 tbsp. of olive oil in a cast iron pan (preferably non-coated) and cook on each side for about 5 minutes. There should be a good crust on each side and ends.


After all ribs are browned and have a crust on them, remove them from the pan and set aside. Then add the carrots, onions, balsamic vinegar, and worcestershire sauce. Allow the vegetables to cook for about 5 minutes. Add the tomato paste, thyme, and red pepper flakes. Allow to cook for 2 more minutes.

Put the beef back in the pan. Spread the vegetables out around the ribs as best you can. Now add the beef broth. You want to almost cover the beef ribs, but not completely. If you use all 4 cups of the broth and it doesn't get close to covering the ribs, add water until it is to the desired place. Cover and put in the oven at 325 degrees and cook for 2 1/2 hours.

Remove from the oven and let cool. It was difficult to get this on the plate without the meat coming off the bone. It gets so tender!

Beef ribs are best when eaten with comfort foods- especially garlic mashed potatoes! Enjoy!

No comments: