Pages

Monday, August 15, 2011

Sloppy Joes - Makeover!

Sloppy joes have been one of my favorite foods since I was a child. My mom made them really often. When I started cooking, I tried out a few new recipes and fell in love with one. It was made with lots of ketchup, which is full of sugar, so... a couple of years ago, I decided to make it over so that it would be healthier. My original recipe came from Tyler Florence's Ultimate Sloppy Joe. I tweaked a few things and this is my recipe for healthy sloppy joes!

Here's what you'll need:
2 lbs ground turkey (this is 98% fat free)
Bell Pepper
1/2 medium red onion
1 clove of garlic
1 tbsp. brown sugar
1 tbsp. red wine vinegar
3/4 c. ketchup
1/6 c. mustard
3 tbsp. tomato paste
Salt and Pepper

Chop your onion, bell pepper, and garlic. Heat a skillet with about 1 tbsp. of olive oil over medium heat. 

 Cook your onions, pepper, and garlic until tender.

 Add ground turkey and begin to cook. While it's cooking, use your spatula to break the meat up into small pieces. Cook until turkey is cooked all the way through.
 Add ketchup, mustard, brown sugar, and tomato paste. Make sure all ingredients are stirred together well. Cook for 5 minutes. After 5  minutes, add red wine vinegar and cook for 2-3 more minutes.

 Serve on a bun and enjoy! Almost any meal can be made-over to be healthy- even sloppy joes!

Is there any meal that you have made-over to be healthier?

1 comment:

Vanessa said...

I love sloppy joe's so I'll have to give it a try!!! :)