Pages

Sunday, January 30, 2011

ezer cenegdo

I'm not a scholar in theological study or in Hebrew or anywhere close. But, one thing that my dad instilled in me was to look beyond the literal text of God's Word. One thing that I've been focusing on recently is found in Genesis. Ezer cenegdo is used to describe Eve. It is a commonly known Hebrew phrase and is used throughout scripture to mean helper and strength.

One of the best things that I've learned since we've been together is that the woman is the partner that helps her husband. She's his biggest cheerleader, his #1 fan, his support system, his encourager.

Since I've known Dan, I've known that he has a dream to play golf professionally. When we met in 2004, this was something that we talked about in our very first conversation. I feel extremely honored that the Lord chose me to be Dan's helper. Dan's got a huge dream. I get to be there to cheer him on and support him through the process. But, for me, its more than just being a helper and supporter. This has become a dream for me too. When I said "I do", I said that I'd love and desire the same people, things, and goals that he loves and desires. We're not interested in the bigger bank account; I long to see my husband be able to share Jesus with other pro golfers, I desire to see him be able to be extremely generous to change lives in big ways, I long to see him be able to use golf to show other people how to use a sport to share the Gospel. I would give anything to see this come true for us.

This is where the other meaning of the phrase comes in. When a wife is beside her husband supporting him, he has strength. I'm reminded daily that my job is to be Dan's helper so that he can have strength to keep going. I love that I get to stand beside Dan and watch how God works through him. I pray that I can always be the helper and supporter that he needs. I've learned so much in the past year about how to be a better encourager to my husband. We've had a very adventurous year and I love how much our relationship has grown through the past year. I look forward to being by Dan's side, for the rest of our lives, cheering him on all along the way in whatever the Lord gives.

I'm thankful for a husband that dares to dream big and the faith to follow the Lord even if it requires big sacrifices. I'm honored to be the one who gets to be with him throughout our adventure-filled life.
The best is yet to come...


No comments: