Pages

Tuesday, January 1, 2008

Kitchen Necessities

My love for cooking started when I was very young. I've been cooking since I was a little girl with my great grandmothers and grandmothers. I didn't branch out and really make anything my own until I got married right after my junior year of college. My husband and I moved into a 519 square foot apartment that seemed to get smaller by the day! I learned the kitchen tools that were absolutely necessary and the ones that I could live without- simply because I only had a few cabinets to put things in. 

My Top 10 Kitchen Necessities: 
1. A good set of non-stick pots. Please do not ever go to Walmart and purchase a pan or pot of any kind! Pots are a investment. You really do pay for what you get in this case. No cutting corners. 

2. One good chef's knife! Spend about $20-$40 on one and you'll get a good one.

3. Set of 5-7 mixing bowls. Don't go for any of those bamboo ones- they hold onto germs!

4. A good can opener! I learned this the hard way. Somehow in all of our wedding gifts, we did not get a can opener, so we just went and bought a cheap one. Bad choice. Buy a decent one and your hands will thank you!

5. A plastic spatula that is heat resistant. I use mine all the time and love it! 

6. Hand mixer or Stand mixer. One of these is necessary for baking. 

7. Cookie sheets- they are for more than just cookies!

8.Two casserole dishes: an 8 x 8 dish and a 9 x 13 dish preferably in glass.

9. Normal cooking utensils- large spoon, spatula, tongs, etc. Make sure they're heat resistant. 

10. One large, seasoned cast iron skillet. I have one that is nearing 100 years old. These things really never wear out and it adds flavors to some dishes that you can't get in any other kind of pan. Go ahead and buy it seasoned, you'll add more seasoning as you cook.

With these things in your kitchen, you'll be able to make nearly anything! 

PS: Some of my favorite memories were spent in that tiny kitchen! Would do it all over again in a heartbeat!