Pages

Sunday, July 17, 2011

Things I love about Summer... Part 1

Happy Monday! Let me start off by saying, summer is my favorite season! I thrive during the summer.

One of my favorite things about summer is growing veggies and herbs in our yard. Actually, until this year, we've had our "garden" in pots because we've lived in apartments. This year, we're in our house and actually have land to plant things in! Anyway, one of my favorite things to grow is basil. I could eat basil plain! It's sweet, yet kind of peppery. You can throw basil in jarred spaghetti sauce, pasta, scones, etc. But, my favorite thing to do with basil is make pesto!

During the winter months, I crave fresh produce and sauces! So, a few years ago, I decided to freeze pesto and see what happens. Turns out, it's just as delicious as when you first made it.

If you don't have a recipe for pesto or if you've never made it- here and here are good, easy recipes! If you want a healthier pesto- substitute half of the olive oil with lemon juice.

Make a big batch of pesto... and place about 1/2 cup of pesto in individual ziplock freezer bags and roll up so that all of the pesto is in the bottom of the bag. Place in freezer!

Now, in January when you're craving summer- like I do... take one bag out and place in a bowl of warm (not hot) water for about 15 minutes to thaw it. Hot water can sometimes turn it brown. Then, use pesto as you normally would.

My favorite way to eat it: on whole wheat pasta with chicken! You can clip one corner of the plastic bag off and squeeze out. No mess!


Are there any other sauces that you like to freeze?

1 comment:

Vanessa said...

Yummy!!!! I love pesto!!