Pages

Tuesday, July 26, 2011

5 Steps to a Healthier Diet

I think we all think about how we need to eat better; I know I do. I know I talk about how I like to be healthy most of the time. I strive to eat healthy 6 days a week. One night a week, I enjoy whatever I want. On the other 6 days of the week, I cook at home and make things that I really enjoy and that are healthy. I am not a certified dietician, but have but very interested in food and health over the last few years and have learned alot. These are tips that help me everyday. I hope that this post will help you find easy ways to incorporate healthy habits into your everyday life.



1. Eat a fruit with breakfast, eat a vegetable (or two) with lunch and supper. Very simple and helps fill you up on good things! 

2. Fat is not always bad! Foods that have good fats (mono-unsaturated and poly-unsaturated) are really, really good for you! Foods that have bad fats (saturated and trans) are really, really bad for you! Good fat helps to build muscle and creates a good balance in your diet. Some of the foods that have good fats are walnuts, almonds, avocado, and fatty fish (tuna and salmon). *Just a note on Trans-fat: trans fat is the worst kind of fat you can eat AND nutrition labels do not have to list it if its less than 1 gram per serving. A trick to find out if what you're eating has trans fat: Read the ingredients, if there is anything listed that has the words "partially hydrogenated" oils or anything, it has trans-fat! It isn't naturally occurring, its man-made. It is so bad, the state of California is trying to make it illegal to put in products. Avoid it at all costs.

3. Plan ahead. I found that days when I'm the busiest, I often forget lunch or a snack. I used to end up going to get fast food or getting something from the snack machine at school. If you plan ahead and know when you're going to be out and need food-  you can plan ahead to take lunch or healthy snacks with you.

4.Snack often! Ideally, you should eat about 5-6 small meals throughout the day.This helps speed up your metabolism and helps you to not eat as much at regular meals.

5. Take vitamins! I could go on and on about this. The foods that are sold in grocery stores travel from all over the place- especially produce. By the time it gets to our stores, sometimes it has traveled 2000+ miles. It has lost so many nutrients and vitamins by the time it gets to your plate. To supplement, take a multi-vitamin! It helps make up for the vitamins and minerals that you don't get from your food.

This is going to sound crazy, but... don't buy unhealthy food. If its not at your house, you won't eat it! If you're not sure what is healthy and what's not- download the Fooducate App on your phone or use their website to make your shopping list. It opened my eyes to so many things! Also, don't got to the grocery store hungry and be sure to take a list!

Are there any healthy tips that you live by?

No comments: